Professionals Logan Lifestyles
Sales - Westpoint Shopping Centre, Rentals - 20 Commerce Drive Browns Plains
07 3800 4000
Professionals Logan Lifestyles Realty
20 Commerce Drive Browns Plains Sales and Rentals
07 3809 4495Contact us
Early days of Browns Plains Real Estate, Schools and Local Community
The local area of Browns Plains, can be dated back as early as 1849 – when it was first used as a place name by surveyors. In its early days, the area was used for cattle farming, to provide meat for the local convict settlement of Moreton Bay.
From the mid 1860’s Browns Plains became a thoroughfare, for the coach route through to the town of Casino NSW. Browns Plains real estate began being developed in the mid 1870’s as land began being taken up.
Early established businesses included a post office and accommodation house in 1872 started by local settler George Stretton with the hotel becoming licensed in 1876.
Throughout the early twentieth century, the Browns Plains area maintained its largely agricultural character. Timber getting, continued in the district until the 1950’s and 1960’s,and sand mining created a string of artificial water holes along Scrubby Creek.
By the early 1970’s reticulated water was installed land developers had realised the area’s potential and were starting to move in. The real estate in Browns Plains area, marketed as an estate was called Ranchwood Hill located just behind the Browns Plains Hotel also known as the Browns Plains Tavern, which was opened in 1976; a century after the first hotel had opened.
New shops were constructed on the corner of Browns Plains Road in 1980, including a new post office. The place name reverted to Browns Plains.
The Grand Plaza Shopping Centre opened in 1994.
The first provisional school can be traced back to its establishment in 1878, and in more recent times, has been followed by the additions of St Bernadine’s Catholic School opened in 1982, Browns Plains State School in 1983, Browns Plains High in 1985, Boronia Heights School in 1990, Regents Park State School in 1994, and Yugumbir State School in 1986. A new college opened just north of Browns Plains in 2006 named Stretton State College.
Information source: http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/